You can use Google Analytics for tracking as well as UTM codes such as utm_source, utm_medium and utm_campaign . If you need assistance building your URL to include UTM codes, you can use a tool such as UTMMaker.com.
Here’s how you can add tracking codes for Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and Facebook Pixels at the account level:
- Login to your account and select the fundraising account you want to track
- Click Analytics on the Left Side Panel
- Enter your tracking code for Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, or Facebook Pixel.
- Click Save
- Using URL params for utm_source & utm_medium transfer directly to both Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager, and is the recommended way to provide this data to Analytics. They may be overridden, or provided if absent, in Tag Manager.
To use Google Tag Manager Ecommerce
In Google Analytics
- Enable Ecommerce.
In Google Tag Manager
- Create a trigger for the event google_analytics_ecommerce_transaction.
(Using /receipt Page view as a trigger will result in reporting only the last donation in the case of upsells.)
- Remove the Google Analytics Property ID, from campaign and account, when applying tags to collect transactions; leaving it may result in duplicate or aggregate transactions.
- campaignId is provided to filter transactions to relevant data (e.g. retrieving only the primary donation amounts in the case of cross sells).
Using a custom receipt page (callback URL)
- Using a custom receipt bypasses the page on which the Ecommerce events are triggered. Any tags associated with these triggers will not fire. In this case, providing the Google Analytics property ID, in addition to the Tag Manager ID, may be used to receive transactions directly to Analytics.
Note on GTM and GA (unless using eCommerce above)
You should add both GTM and GA for proper conversion tracking because of the way that GTM does not allow for server side tracking (more accurate), but GA does. We therefore automatically utilize the appropriate one for you at the appropriate time.
Note on GTM Whitelist
For security, only Google tags are allowed in GTM. If you'd like to utilize Facebook pixel, please use the Facebook pixel integration in Anedot.
Enterprise customers can send us a message in Slack if you have a specific whitelist need that is not met by the current solution.
Add params specific when linking from web, email or SMS campaign
When integrating from an external or embedded web site, email or SMS UTM campaign, content, medium, source and term tracking can be added to the end of the campaign public donation https://secure.anedot-sandbox.com/paul-for-city-council/donate?utm_campaign=ab_1&utm_content=mar&utm_medium=em&utm_source=dir&utm_term=email